26 August 2011

Philosophy

If I had to give a label to my philosophy, I'd have to call it postmodern. "Postmodernism" isn't really a coherent philosophy, but rather a label for the condition of postmodernity, in which all the old meta-narratives and verities come under scrutiny, doubt and provisionality. It's an acceptance of the inherent absurdity of life, and beyond that acceptance, an attempt to 'make do' with it. One feature of postmodernism is pastiche, in which a patchwork of prior verities and modalities is sewn together to make a provisional, functional effort.

My philosophical pastiche includes bits and pieces of Taoism, Buddhism, Stoicism, Existentialism, Pragmatism, Liberalism and Cosmopolitanism. I'm drawn to the thought of Lao-zi, the Buddha, Nagārjuna, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Locke, Mill, Sartre, Camus, Derrida, Appiah and Joss Whedon. My mind is an ongoing discussion (and sometimes an argument).

No comments:

Post a Comment