How do I prevent being bitter?
1. Realize I'm entirely optional to society. People may or may not want to have anything to do with me, to listen to me, to have me listen to them, etc. There's not much I can do about that except be present.
2. Realize that life is full of both triumphs and disappointments. And that's okay. Complaining is really a waste of time.
3. Know what I can control, and what I cannot. Take responsibility for what I can control, and learn to accept what I cannot control.
4. Some of the things I cannot control:
- who finds me attractive;
- who I find attractive;
- what all of society does;
- what's available for me to purchase at the stores;
- how people react to me;
- my genes;
- anyone else's genes;
- the behavior of others.
5. Take active steps to promote a calm, active, accepting, self-aware and mildly positive state of mind.