08 June 2012

Three Books

Sometimes I read one book at a time, and sometimes I read several at once. These days I'm actively in the middle of three books.

I'm reading George Eliot's Middlemarch. Ever since Ta-Nehisi Coates mentioned he was reading this novel as part of his own personal studies of the literary canon, I've been intrigued. Then when I found out that Virginia Woolf considered it one of the few adult novels in the English language, I was even more intrigued. The fact is, until now I've never enjoyed Eliot that much, and I think that I've never really been mature enough to read her for her art.

I'm also reading Thomas Vennum's American Indian Lacrosse: Little Brother of War. This is the second book by Vennum I've read. In addition to being a thoroughgoing researcher, he writes very well. My interest in lacrosse springs not only from the grace and brutality that the game mixes together, but also the history and culture. Lacrosse is the oldest team sport in North America. It's the Creator's game.

Finally, I decided to start reading Plotinus. This is the culmination of my readings in Classical European philosophy. Once I finish Plotinus, there are so many different directions I can go in: Medieval European philosophy; Islamic philosophy; Islamic mysticism; Christian mysticism; Kabbalah; even Indian philosophy. I haven't decided yet which comes after Plotinus. Rest assured I have a ton of books in all those categories.

No comments:

Post a Comment